Tuesday, July 24, 2007
THE PLANE BOSS THE PLANE!! PLUS THE BEACH BOYS TOO!!
I spent the night at the new Wal mart Supercenter in Stevens Point, Wisc. and then got up early the next morning to do some shopping there to stock up on food for the week long stay at Oshkosh, for the EAA Airventure 2007/Bluebird Rally. I headed for Oshkosh arriving later on that morning and went directly to the head of the line, as the huge influx of campers would not start until Sunday. After registering and getting all of my paper work, I called Barbara Vaughn and she drove her car up to escort me back to our reserved parking/camping area.
Throughout the weekend my fellow ‘Bird owners started to arrive as I put out the word on our Wanderlodge Forum that the Vaughn’s had secured reserved parking spaces for about 18-20 ‘Birds depending on just how we parked them. Sunday brought the largest influx of campers with a waiting line that extended one mile down the frontage road coming to the campground and then even out onto the shoulder of US 41 that runs along side of the EAA Airventure 2007 event site here at Oshkosh, Wisc.
I made a trip down to the air museum with some of the folks and I was amazed at the excellent condition of many of the still airworthy aircraft that are on display there, it is a very impressive air museum and well worth the visit if you are ever in the area. There is even a 1930's era airport across the field from the museum that is still operational with period aircraft such as the Ford Tri-motor that you can get to fly on for a fee.
Aircraft of all types were landing throughout the day from private to vintage to current military and it was almost impossible to keep a count going, the volunteer flight controllers really get a workout here at Oshkosh during this event. There is also a doily air show at 3:30pm every day of the week long event here, that can be seen from where we are camping at, or by going down and sitting on the flightline of the field here, consisting of both private and military type aircraft and of course the Goodyear blimp, that is also giving rides by drawing selection.
Early Monday, Rob Robinson, Larry Dill and I drove down to Germantown, Wisc. to meet up with any 'Bird owners that haden't gotten the message about our reserved parking arrangements that were made at the last minute up at Oshkosh and we met up with Mike Hohnsteing, who lives in Germantown and went to breakfast with him, we then drove back to the truck stop that we had originally planned to met everybody at and found only one 'Bird owner that haden't read the message on the forum, so we gave him directions to the reserved area at Oshkosh and sent him onn his way, then the four of us went over to Mikes shop closeby to look at some of the rricks and modifications that he has done to his 'Bird and then we ourselves headed back up to Oshkosh.
Late Monday afternoon some of us went down to the flightline to watch the Beach Boys concert which was great, they were introduced as a aerobatic formation flicght of vintage military trainers flew over head it was quite impressive and an apprpriate way to introduce the entertainment. The last time I saw Beach Boys live in concert was back in 1963 while I was stationed at hill AFB, Utah and I had been listening to one of their Greatest hits CD’s while I have been traveling on this trip, so this concert was a memorable experience for me. When we got back to the campsites after a bite to eat, we all gathered around our nightly campfire to talk about the days events and catch up on what has been happening in our lives. We currently have 14 ‘Birds assembled here and we are still expecting more that are still on their way, from as far away as California.
I have posted some more photos on the trip album at: http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/summer_trip_2007&page=all
******
We finally arrived at Oshkosh and I am having a ball, getting to see all of my old friends from past Bluebird rallies that I have been to and of coarse their dogs too, there are only a couple of them here that seem to have issues, but I’m sure that they will mellow out after they are here for a while, plus I’m getting fed a lot of treats by some of my human friends too that seem to recognize me, especially around the campfire at night when I wear my CHICKEN LIGHTS, that are actually two led joggers lights attached to one of my old collars, John says it is easier to see me at night and keep track of where I am going in the dark, I like wearing them because it gets me more attention and treats, like peanuts that I like so well.
Cally doesn’t seem to want to come out of the ‘Bird, John brought her out for about a half hour the other day to meet some folks but she doesn’t seem to feel comfortable outside, maybe she learned her lesson from running away at the truck stop bac k in Columbia, but that is her loss and my gain as that means I will be the center of attention and not her.
BUDDY
Throughout the weekend my fellow ‘Bird owners started to arrive as I put out the word on our Wanderlodge Forum that the Vaughn’s had secured reserved parking spaces for about 18-20 ‘Birds depending on just how we parked them. Sunday brought the largest influx of campers with a waiting line that extended one mile down the frontage road coming to the campground and then even out onto the shoulder of US 41 that runs along side of the EAA Airventure 2007 event site here at Oshkosh, Wisc.
I made a trip down to the air museum with some of the folks and I was amazed at the excellent condition of many of the still airworthy aircraft that are on display there, it is a very impressive air museum and well worth the visit if you are ever in the area. There is even a 1930's era airport across the field from the museum that is still operational with period aircraft such as the Ford Tri-motor that you can get to fly on for a fee.
Aircraft of all types were landing throughout the day from private to vintage to current military and it was almost impossible to keep a count going, the volunteer flight controllers really get a workout here at Oshkosh during this event. There is also a doily air show at 3:30pm every day of the week long event here, that can be seen from where we are camping at, or by going down and sitting on the flightline of the field here, consisting of both private and military type aircraft and of course the Goodyear blimp, that is also giving rides by drawing selection.
Early Monday, Rob Robinson, Larry Dill and I drove down to Germantown, Wisc. to meet up with any 'Bird owners that haden't gotten the message about our reserved parking arrangements that were made at the last minute up at Oshkosh and we met up with Mike Hohnsteing, who lives in Germantown and went to breakfast with him, we then drove back to the truck stop that we had originally planned to met everybody at and found only one 'Bird owner that haden't read the message on the forum, so we gave him directions to the reserved area at Oshkosh and sent him onn his way, then the four of us went over to Mikes shop closeby to look at some of the rricks and modifications that he has done to his 'Bird and then we ourselves headed back up to Oshkosh.
Late Monday afternoon some of us went down to the flightline to watch the Beach Boys concert which was great, they were introduced as a aerobatic formation flicght of vintage military trainers flew over head it was quite impressive and an apprpriate way to introduce the entertainment. The last time I saw Beach Boys live in concert was back in 1963 while I was stationed at hill AFB, Utah and I had been listening to one of their Greatest hits CD’s while I have been traveling on this trip, so this concert was a memorable experience for me. When we got back to the campsites after a bite to eat, we all gathered around our nightly campfire to talk about the days events and catch up on what has been happening in our lives. We currently have 14 ‘Birds assembled here and we are still expecting more that are still on their way, from as far away as California.
I have posted some more photos on the trip album at: http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/summer_trip_2007&page=all
******
We finally arrived at Oshkosh and I am having a ball, getting to see all of my old friends from past Bluebird rallies that I have been to and of coarse their dogs too, there are only a couple of them here that seem to have issues, but I’m sure that they will mellow out after they are here for a while, plus I’m getting fed a lot of treats by some of my human friends too that seem to recognize me, especially around the campfire at night when I wear my CHICKEN LIGHTS, that are actually two led joggers lights attached to one of my old collars, John says it is easier to see me at night and keep track of where I am going in the dark, I like wearing them because it gets me more attention and treats, like peanuts that I like so well.
Cally doesn’t seem to want to come out of the ‘Bird, John brought her out for about a half hour the other day to meet some folks but she doesn’t seem to feel comfortable outside, maybe she learned her lesson from running away at the truck stop bac k in Columbia, but that is her loss and my gain as that means I will be the center of attention and not her.
BUDDY
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]
