Tuesday, August 14, 2007
THE EAGLE HAS LANDED...OR A HOMECOMING OF SORTS.
I finally left the Quad-Cities and headed further down river to the city of Canton, Missouri owned Mississippi RV Park that brought me up about as close as you can get to the river traffic, without getting real wet, it has to the closest to the river traffic that you will get in a RV campsite. So I think that I now have had my fix of river boats for quite a while. I headed south to St. Louis where I had made arrangements to go to Grey Eagle Distributors to take some photos of my ‘Bird at it’s original home. Grey Eagle was the original owners and V.P. of Operations Neil Komadoski, had made arrangements for me to meet up with Jim Hubbard to give me directions to their place of business to take some photos for my album and web site. I decided that on the way down from Canton, that I would take the Great River Road from Hannibal, Mo to St. Louis which is actually Mo. 79, well this turned out to be more than I had expected, you know it looked just a little curvy on the map, but it also was extremely hilly as it went up and down the bluffs that line the river at that point, I should have remembered what Sam Clemens had written about my namesake in the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, with the caves and such, that would take some big hills to create and they were definitely big hills, with a narrow winding highway with very few if any shoulders. I managed to work my way back over to US 61 a four lane highway at Bowling Green, MO. For the rest of the trip to St. Louis.
After a call to Jim Hubbard, I followed his directions over to Grey Eagle, where I met up with him and got my photos, Jim recognized the old as they called it “DRAFT ONE” and later on Neil showed up and looked over the old ‘Bird too. I then decided to stay there for another three hours to let the evening traffic slow down, when I headed over for an overnight stop at another Wal Mart campground at Waterloo, IL.
After a call to Jim Hubbard, I followed his directions over to Grey Eagle, where I met up with him and got my photos, Jim recognized the old as they called it “DRAFT ONE” and later on Neil showed up and looked over the old ‘Bird too. I then decided to stay there for another three hours to let the evening traffic slow down, when I headed over for an overnight stop at another Wal Mart campground at Waterloo, IL.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]
